My routine (in early 2021)
Jan 30, 2021
I thought might be interesting to note down my current routine (or at least what I try to do) so I can look back and observe how it changes.
My current routine
I don't usually follow this routine exactly. It's more like an approximation of what I'd like my routine to be on an ideal day.
- Wake up and drink some water
- Start writing a blog post for half an hour (although, I've recently been writing at night instead)
- Start work, continue for an hour or two
- Tea or coffee and (sometimes) a turmeric or matcha latte alongside it
- Work for another hour or two
- Exercise and shower
If I'm going for a run, have a glass of 'Plant Based BCAA & Coconut Water' beforehand.
If I'm doing a workout, have 'Raw Plant Protein & BCAA' post-workout.
- Lunch: mixed nuts, berries, banana, flax seeds, dried fruit.
- Go outside into the garden for a few minutes, especially if the sun's out (a rare sight in winter). Sometimes I'll stand and eat breakfast or listen to a bit of the Worm audiobook
- Continue working for a few hours
- A few hours before bed, I'll put on my orange glasses (for reducing blue light)
- Sometimes I'll do some streching while listening to the Worm audiobook before bed
Some extra details
I try to stay hydrated and keep my metal water bottle topped up.
I have tea / coffee a couple hours after waking up because I'm doing 16-8 intermittent fasting (8 hour eating window; 16 hour fasting window). I've been doing it casually for the last few years but just recently started tracking my eating windows.
On weekdays, I usually alternate between coffee and green tea. I don't want to become dependent on caffeine so I try to avoid having coffee for multiple days in a row (although green tea does have some caffeine in it). For that reason, I rarely ever have tea or coffee on weekends. The idea is that it gives my body time to clear out any caffeine that's left in my blood (caffeine has a mean half life of 5 hours in healthy individuals so a small percentage is still in your blood after 24 hours).
What's missing from my routine?
- Afternoon naps. I haven't tried them yet there's at least one good reason to give them a try
- Meditation. I've done short meditation sessions (5 to 20 minutes) sporadically for the last few years, but I haven't managed to stick to it regularly
I'm looking forward to look back at how much or little my routine has changed by summer 2021.